Price is per blank. The blanks shown are representative of the blank you will receive, but are not necessarily the exact blank you will receive.
Tori had a little difficulty finding a good flower to pair with this Copper Foil. Most of the flowers she came across paired better with the silver or gold foils. She finally found these dried hibiscus petals that offered a really rich color and a unique shape when turned down. She custom mixed a gorgeous red plum mica to match the petals and was pleasantly surprised how much the color made the copper foil stand out.
Dimensions: 3/4"+ x 5"+
Base Color(s): Dark Red Plum, Clear
Glitter(s): Copper Sparkle, Copper Foil
Flower(s): Dried Hibiscus Petals
Transparency: Low/Very High - See notes below
- Blanks are cast with 100% Organic Hibiscus petals. They do have a pleasant flower smell when drilling and turning. We advise anyone with allergies to these specific flowers or any of the flowers in our blanks to exercise caution when drilling/turning these blanks because of the dust and residue from the flowers.
- There is little to no transparency on the mica block portion of the blanks, unless you turn them down in a thinner walled kit.
- The buds are cast in clear resin so there will be high transparency in the middle part of the blank.
- (See example photo) The buds will create tiny pits or voids when turned down. We recommend a CA finish or some other equivalent finish to fill and seal the pits created by the buds in the blanks. There may also be a few small bubbles in the blank. Sometimes the bubble gets trapped around the natural material when casting.
- Light and easy cuts are recommended when turning the blanks. As with most pen blanks that have natural elements in the resin, we recommend that you periodically turn off the lathe and watch for pits or places where the foil/petals might get caught to avoid tear outs.
- The middle clear resin flower mix is roughly about 2.75 inches on every blank. The top and bottom mica/foil blocks range from .75 to 1.75 inches depending on where they are cut on the diagonal.
Tori's Recommended Finishing Process:
- Turn down blank to desired shape.
- Apply 4 coats of Extra Thick CA, allowing each coat to dry completely in between applications. This fills the voids left behind from the flowers and gives you a nice smooth surface. Spot treat extra deep pits with Extra Thick CA if necessary.
- Wet sand blank with 150 - 800 grit.
- Apply 3 coats of Ultra Thin CA, allowing each coat to dry completely in between applications.
- Wet sand Micromesh Finish 1000 - 12000 grit.
- Apply polish coat.
These Alumilite blanks are made in-house here at Bear Tooth Woods. Please feel free to email us with any comments, concerns, suggestions, etc about the blanks.
Video closeup of the blank: